Monday, August 26, 2013

Made From Grandma's Aprons




This is a quilt that I designed and made and that is now being re branded with the Timeless Traditions Quilt Logo.  This quilt was made from the 30's reproduction fabrics, but also with many old feed sacks, vintage aprons etc. which I had purchased over the years at Antique stores. When my children were little, I used to pack up the suburban and travel from Utah to Minnesota.  It was quite an adventure to say the least......My husband had a phone installed in the car for emergencies. I would put the seats all down and create a big play-sleep area and take off early in the wee hours of the morning, with the kids sleeping. Car seats and seat belts....no one used them at that time.  Shame on me, but we all lived to tell the story. We listened to many Fisher Price children's tapes and had quite a merry time!  We stopped often, including many antique shops. As the miles accumulated, so did the feed sacks.  Over time they became more difficult to find.  My children became quite good at finding them for me.  They would be rewarded by looking for Dairy Queens for ice cream stops. Along with our feed sacks and other vintage fabric items, we have a treasure of precious memories.  As the kids got older we would also stop at every historical item of interest along the way.  One time we saw the Bridges Of Madison County.  We traversed the back roads of Madison County, Iowa looking for covered bridges.  I remember my son Ben worrying that we could get lost!  He was the adult in this adventure!
I hope everyone had a wonderful week-end, and now I leave you with this quote. "Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.  Those who don't believe in magic will never find it". -Roald Dahl
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Such a pretty quilt - I love those type of fabrics and sold my whole lot when we moved - sure wish I hadn't done that. Great memories for you and your kids. Funny we would never think of leaving home now without our cellphones - but we sure didn't worry about it back then. Always love your quotes - words are so powerful.
    Hugs - Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you sold them...I still have not lost my love of those vintage looking quilts made from them!
      About the cell phones...so true. We can run, but we can't hide! Karen, I'm loving your blog. Your home is beautiful and the setting...all I can say is wow!

      Delete
  2. Hi Norma! It's too bad I've been missing out on your blog all this time, my mom was telling me about it today, and I'm now getting caught up on all your wonderful posts! Tally is working on an appliqué project that you had helped Charlene get started on...so please know all you share is far reaching and so enriching! Thank you!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Natalie! Hearing from you has certainly put a smile on my face....If you can think of anyone else who might enjoy the blog, pass the word. So sweet to think of Tally working on a project.

      Delete
  3. Fun story and a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet memories from the past. Love to read your stories and see your work.
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete