Friday, September 25, 2015

My quilting friend......

....brought some of her quilts for me to see when she came to visit.  Shanna is very talented.  She was instrumental in teaching me to hand quilt around a quilting frame when I was newly married.  I have sweet memories of those days and the desire that was born in me to quilt.
 
 

 

 
Here are a couple of close ups of the previous quilt.  Notice how there is a different little block in the center of the alternate block.
 

 
This is an Asian inspired quilt which Shanna made.


Now we switch over to a shop my sister took me to in Conrad Iowa.  It is a small faring community near where she lives.  The name of the shop is called "Hen & Chicks".  I've always loved this wool quilt, a design of Maggie Bonanomi.
 

 
I found this Amish inspired quilt to be quite interesting , probably because of the contrast between the pastels and the jewel tones .

 
There were quilts high and low and in between....much to inspire.

 
I've always loved this Red Wagon design....."Three Flags and a Log Cabin."

 
Another adorable wool project.

 
A fun way to finish off a nine patch.
 
 
This Amish quilt was absolutely beautiful!

 
This combination of a 16 patch and a Pin Wheel block would be a good way to use up scraps.
 
I'm so enjoying being home and back in my sewing room once again.  It is just what I've needed.  I've completed my new winter quilt...."Stars and Holly Berries", and will be delivering it to the quilter tomorrow morning.  This seems to be the time of year to settle in with a quilting project.
 
"Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: I'm with you kid, let's go."  -Maya Angelou
 
 


3 comments:

  1. What fabulous quilts your friend brought with you. How fabulous that you had a good friend to take you under her wing and introduce you to quilting. And wow - the inspiration at that quilt shop! I'm inspired just from your photos, so I can only imagine how inspired I'd feel if I were there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures...my sister lives near Conrad, Iowa also and goes there often. She really likes that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hen & Chicks is owned & operated by Heidi Kaisand (sp) who used to be the editor for American Patchwork & Quilting magazine - I've heard her shop is great.

    ReplyDelete