Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Gettysburg

 
 
Day 2 was spent at Gettysburg.  Under sunny skies we had a guided tour of the battlefield.  We have all done this numerous times before and every time it seems a bit of new information is given.  It is always an emotional and thoughtful experience for me.  They have constructed a new visitors center and now have a cyclorama to enhance the experience.
 
 
 
I hope these pictures give you some idea of the cyclorama...

 



 

 
We enjoyed a delicious dinner in the Dobbin House restaurant which is housed in the oldest building in Gettysburg.  It was built in 1776 and was originally the home of the Mr. Dobbin, his wife and 19 children.....no that is not a mistake...19 children.  This house is also believed to be the first station of the Underground Railroad north of the Mason Dixon line.  The slaves hideaway is still intact and available for viewing.  During the battle of Gettysburg the home served as a field hospital.
 

 
And here we are posing with President Abraham Lincoln.
 
The city center offers some wonderful shopping....which of course we checked out.  The store accommodated everyone and mailed packages home.  I was able to fit mine in the suitcase.  I'll try to remember to share a picture tomorrow of the framed piece I purchased.
 
Every evening we enjoyed time stitching and remembering our day.  Actually I did very little stitching...it was just good to relax.
 
"Have I not destroyed my enemy when I have made him into my friend".     -Abraham Lincoln
 
More tomorrow....:-)  Enjoy the day.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so very much for the photos. I am a bit of a Civil War buff so the pictures are so interesting. I am always amazed at how many died in that war and what the people who fought the war had to go through. I've always wanted to tour anything related to the war however at 67 it may never happens. Am thankful for books and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it does happen for you. Two of the ladies in our group are in their seventies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norma, You have wonderful photos of Gettysburg. Love the one with Abe!
    Note to The Woolen Cellar: It is a very tourist friendly place with bus tours, guided tours in private car, CD tour in you own vehicle at your own pace. It's worth looking into for a nice vacation getaway.

    ReplyDelete