Friday, September 29, 2017

If old quilts could talk...


Remember the Giver.


"The bee is honored, not because she labors, but because she labors for others."  -St. John Chrysostom.  This new quilt is now quilted, and  I will be teaching this for the first time at Blackberry Primitives in Lincoln, Nebraska toward the end of this month.  I have spent the week making kits.


Now, about my love affair with old quilts.  I just know they all have a story wishing to be told, a story longing to be appreciated and recognized.  Often they are too fragile to be used, but they needed to be collected and cherished out of respect for the women who made them.  I know of women who purchase old quilts, just to rescue them and in doing so make them something of beauty.



This is a top, waiting to be quilted.  It is a pattern I have never seen before.


This double Irish Chain was in excellent condition, hand quilted and charming!!




There has certainly been a resurgence of hexagon quilts.  Quilters seem to be enjoying slow stitching......handwork that can be tucked easily in a bag and taken with them.  It does make waiting so much more enjoyable.  I also find hand work to be very calming and relaxing.






I love this particular block, and am thinking of how I'd like to make a quilt using this pattern.  I'm already dreaming about the colors I'd like to use.


I enjoy the Monkey Wrench pattern and seeing this causes a desire to now make one of these too.  I can't help myself! :-)


A sweet cushion for a soft landing!


"Aim for success not perfection.  Never give up your right to be wrong.  Because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life." -Dr. David M. Burns




No comments:

Post a Comment