Thursday, April 7, 2016

Quilts and their stories....


When I taught in Moab, Utah at a marvelous little retreat this past February, I was thrilled when Sandra Starley shared some  antique quilts with me.  Sandra is an AQS Certified Quilt Appraiser.  Her business is called, Textile Time Travels.  The name is catchy and oh so appropriate.


This fabulous quilt caused my heart to miss a beat or two.  It was love at first sight.


Sandra was teaching a class there and showed me a new piece of fabric which closely matches the original.  The original is best!  I apologize for the blurry picture.  It is always thrilling for me to see old fabrics which have survived the test of time.


Wishing not to be forgotten a woman signs her name to cloth.  This autograph block was done with a very fine quill pen.  Yes, our quilts will outlive us and will be part of our legacy.  This is a reminder the importance of labeling our quilts.


Another Stewart name, no doubt relatives.


A close up of the fabric.  The top red design on the light background is so delicate and unusual.



This fabric looks familiar.


This just reinforces that I have a love affair with fabric!!:-)

Shasta, one of my quilting friends who follows my blog, shared this lovely quote.  "When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves."
-William Arthur Ward

2 comments:

  1. I think every quilter has a love affair with fabric--always so nice to see a quilt which has been loved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! LOVED your post! AND yes, that first quilt is stunning!! You hit the nail on the head by reminding us WHY we need to put a label on our quilts!!

    ReplyDelete