Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I have dinner un the oven.....




.....and I will take a minute to write tomorrows post.  First of all let me join my wishes  to Carolyn who commented on yesterdays blog........she hopes that she lives long enough to gain just a percentage of the skill that other quilters have shown!  Now with that said, we will continue our journey through the museum.


This post is going to be a bit confusing.  I took a picture of this sweet sentiment, left as a label, but I'm not sure for which quilt.  It doesn't really matter though as this bit of sentiment written in 1843 stands on it's own merit.


What a stunning quilt this is.  The border fabric is just sensational.


I'm sorry, but the information for these quilts are out of order, so I'm inviting you to be sleuths, and come up with the proper deduction!!!



How about this gorgeous sashing fabric.  I have a reproduction copy of the brown fabric in the center of the bottom star.  The folks who reproduce fabric must have access to amazing old fabric samples......and I'm happy that they do.




Notice how astoundingly incredible this quilting is.  We marvel at quilting like this when it is accomplished by machine applique......how about done by hand?!!




We often hear how important it is to use only certain types of quality thread.  I wondered what this woman used that has endured the test of time.  History tells us that  thread was often selvaged from garments to be reused.  These were thrifty women who knew how to make do.  However, this is not a scrap quilt, so that probably does not apply here.



A close up of this gorgeous blue fabric.


I believe this is the most beautiful Mariner's Compass quilt I have ever seen. I just love everything about this quilt, right down to the fact that the center circle is not a perfect round circle!  And that a few of the points are cut off.  So you see Carolyn, the work of these quilters was not perfect. We need to be kind to ourselves, and appreciate our efforts.




"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls."  -Joseph Campbell

P.S.  I've found this to be true! :-)


2 comments:

  1. Last year I attended a lecture by Edyta Sitar. She shared many of the vintage quilts in her collection and we were allowed to study them up close and even handle them--such a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sharing the beautiful quilts. I am in awe of what was accomplished with simple sewing tools.

    ReplyDelete