Monday, June 25, 2018

Plans thwarted......




….Unfortunately the plans I said yes to, unexpectedly became changed....very disappointing.  However, I did finish my new design, by adding the binding.  And I absorbed my self in a novel, that I will highly recommend when I complete it. 


I believe I will call this quilt Fly Away.  It is wool appliqued on cotton.  I will be teaching it for the first time in August at Quilter's Station.


I left the selvage on the wool for the pots.  Sometimes the selvage is so unique and wonderful I try to incorporate it into the design.  I also have other ideas for the selvage which we will discuss in class.
The approximate size of this quilt is 42 x 50.


If you've never been to Quilter's Station of this retreat you really ought to consider it.  I taught there last year and it is a marvelous retreat and experience.  And the store is phenomenal.  It has everything your heart could possible want in the sewing category.


The second class I will be teaching is this applique quilt called Peace and Plenty.  The approximate size of this little quilt is 30 x 36.




And then this is the third class I will be teaching.  The Porch Quilt.  This is more of a throw sized quilt.....to snuggle under on the porch swing.




On our way home from Michigan the end of May, we were whizzing down I 80 when we saw a sign announcing the Iowa Quilt Museum.  Of all the times I've traveled this road, I'd never seen this sign before....that's because they had just recently put the sign up.  And you know quilters usually break for anything quilt related.


The Iowa Quilt Museum is located in Winterset, the birthplace of John Wayne, and Madison County and it's many covered bridges.  The curator of the museum is Mary Ann Fons.   What a warm invite we received and what a lovely lady she is.  The name of the exhibit that was being presented, was called, Playing with Purpose: by Victoria Findlay Wolfe.  She is an award-winning quilter, international instructor, lecturer, and author.  I loved the quilt we are standing in front of.






As you will see, her quilts are a modern take on somewhat traditional designs.

I too remember using cereal boxes to make templates, because I started quilting before taking classes or before I knew rotary cutters existed.









"Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." - Ralph Waldo Emerson




3 comments:

  1. Love the new quilt Norma. And Peace and Plenty is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Fly Away and Peace and Plenty! How long do you wait after a class before your patterns are available to the public? The list of designers for the Quilters Station is definitely 5 star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll be in Kansas City next year too. I'm planning on being there and I'm working on convincing my sister that she needs to be there too! Love that little basket quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete